Thursday, April 3, 2014

Flashback Thursday

Notice how the newest craze on FB is to post flashback photos on Thursday?  Today, I'm posting a birthday card that flashes back in using an oooold SU stamp set, Time Well Spent.

Actually, this card uses some old SU card stock colors also.

And the combination gives a retro, bright, 60's-early 70's look.

I'm just rocking the flashbacks today!!


The pink paper is either SU's Pink Passion or Pixie Pink. Who knows? I never labeled my paper colors and I actually had to look at my SU inks to get the possibilities.  The orange is Only Orange.  

I needed a card for a classmate of  Youngest Kiddo.  This particular girl is new to the class this year and I really don't know much about her personality to give me a clue as to what style of card I should go with. 

 This card took life with the determination to figure out how to use ink sprays (in this case, Tattered Angel's Glimmer Mist in Tuscan Sun and S.W.A.K.) besides just spritzing for general overall glimmer.  I taped down the honeycomb stencil from Heidi Swapp and tried to keep from being too heavy handed or too close with the spraying.  Then I dug through my paper stash and tried to find papers that matched the Glimmer Mists.  

Just a side note.  I am beyond curious as to why I even own a pink colored Glimmer Mist.  It is a well known fact that I am not a "pink" type of gal.  I cannot recall why I would have purchased such a color.  I must have needed it for a specific project. Who knows?!!

I then stamped the flower image from Time Well Spent three times using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  I colored with Copics and cut each layer out and adhered with dimensional tape.  A epoxy dome was place over the center and bling added for extra pop.  The sentiment is also from an old retired SU set; It's Your Birthday.  I used the same Glimmer Mists on the sentiment flags to tone down the intensity of the colors just a bit.  A bit of a clear mist was then spritzed over the flower to tie it all together.


A bit brighter and much more "girly" than I usually make for my boys to give to their female friends, but, in this case, the Youngest Kiddo didn't flinch (much) when he saw it.  

Now to see what I can come up with for yet another female classmate's birthday this weekend!!




5 comments:

Stef H said...

i love this. i love the colors and the brightness and i'm sure she will too! i have ALLL my SU stuff still. the markers i bought back in 2002 work way better than the new set i bought in 2009. they just don't make stuff like they used to... and to think.. they call us hoarders!

have a great weekend!

hugs :)

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Beautiful. I love how new techniques and products can give old stamps new life. And pink passion paired with orange has always been one of my favorite color schemes.

Gail Dixon said...

I love the 60s, 70s vibe on this! I'm sure this little girl is going to feel very special when she receives this card. You are so talented!

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous card, Starla, actually love how you combined these colors! I am not a pink girl! Love how you misted as well. So hope your working hours shorten so you can enjoy life....before time gets away...Have a terrific Tuesday! Hugs!

dawnmercedes said...

I recently dug out an old SU set...You Are My Sunshine! So much fun to bring old stamps back to life!